Revit 2016: 30 new features under the microscope
Click here Autodesk officially announced the launch of its solutions for the year 2016 including Revit 2016, this version eagerly awaited by the community of users frustrated by the old versions, this latest 2016 finally includes many new and interesting features, hereinafter a non-exhaustive list.
Allow navigation when drawings are in progress : To improve performance when navigating in a view, use this new option to pause the display of model elements when you move around the model. This feature allows you to navigate the model smoothly and continuously, zoom, pan and orbit the view without having to wait for the software to finish drawing the elements at each step. This option is activated by default.
Orient the project to the north : In addition to rotating model elements, this tool also rotates view-specific detail elements, including text notes, detail lines, filled areas, revision clouds, and more. The tool is available for plan views only.
Open a sheet view : To quickly open and identify the sheet a view is placed on, in the Project Browser, right-click the name of the view, and then click Open Sheet. The Open Sheet option is disabled in the context menu when the view is not placed on a sheet, or when the view is a schedule or legend. (You can insert captions and schedules on multiple sheets.)
revisions : The following enhancements are available in the Revisions and Sheet Reviews dialog box:
- The ability to select multiple lines in the dialog allows you to delete multiple revisions at a time.
- You can change the start number of a numeric sequence by setting it to zero or a positive number.
- The alphabetical sequence type is now "alphanumeric" and it can accept a custom sequence of characters. In the sequence, each value can consist of more than one character.
- Add a prefix and / or a suffix to display with the values of a sequence.
Selection areas : To document a model more efficiently, you can now quickly isolate selected elements in an unobstructed 3D view.
When you save a template and exit Revit, pan and zoom states are kept for each view. When you run Revit and you open a view, the view opens in the same pan and zoom states. This feature helps improve performance when working with complex models.
IFC Links and Parts: When creating parts in the host model, there are many IFC elements that you can use to define part boundaries.
soils : To improve the annotation and nomenclatures of architectural floors, the following fields are now available: Elevation at top, Elevation at upper core (multilayer floors), Elevation at lower core (multilayer floors) and Elevation at base .
Place pieces : Use the Auto Place Rooms tool to quickly place rooms in all closed and bounded surfaces of the current level.
Rendering : when you render a 3D view, you can now choose between 2 rendering engines: mental ray NVIDIA and Autodesk Raytracer. Raytracer rendering does not support some background and quality options that are available with NVIDIA mental ray. Autodesk Raytracer is an option that only allows rendering of a static image. Revit continues to use the NVIDIA Mental Ray Engine for functions such as walkthrough export, FBX export, and previews (material appearance, RPC appearance, light color temperature, and thumbnail).
Energy Analysis for Autodesk® Revit®:
- To improve the workflow, the tools for Use Conceptual Massing Mode and Use Construction Element Mode have been removed from the ribbon. Instead, select the corresponding values for the Analysis Mode parameter in the Energy Parameters dialog box.
- A new analysis mode, Working with Conceptual Masses and Building Elements, lets you perform energy analysis of a model that includes both types of designs. This mode can be useful, for example, when a drawing is partially detailed and partially conceptual or when you have modeled conceptual masses to represent additions to an existing building.
- On the ribbon, the Activate Energy Model tool has been renamed Create Energy Model. Use this tool to create the energy analytical model and display it in the context of Revit. You no longer need to export the energy model in gbXML format or in Autodesk Design Review to view it. When an energy model exists, this tool becomes Delete energy model.
- When you select an analysis mode that includes building elements and then display the energy model, Revit creates three views: a 3D energy model (3D view), analytical spaces (schedule), and analytical surfaces (a schedule ). Use these views to examine the analytical model and make adjustments before running the energy simulation.
- In the Results and Comparison window, the Energy Cost Ranges dashboard provides new analysis tools. Use this dashboard to understand the current energy cost of the building model being analyzed and how changes to the identified variables can reduce the total cost.
- The Potential Energy Savings table has been removed from the energy analysis results. Instead, use the Energy Cost Ranges dashboard to explore similar information in a more interactive way.
MEP novelties (climatic engineering, electricity and plumbing)
Pipe flow units : When setting units for the pipe, you can now specify values for Flow in liters per minute (l / min).
Performance and Volume parameters only for calculations :
- To improve performance when working with most duct and pipe systems, a new parameter, Performance, has been added to the Calculations drop-down list. When this parameter is set to Performance, no calculation is performed at the system level. When set to None, the system maintains the logic of the cuts in the system.
- To improve performance when working with Fire Protection, Ventilation, and Large Scale Other classification system types, a new parameter, Volume Only, has been added to the Calculations drop-down list. When the Calculations parameter is set to None, the Volume parameter is not calculated. When you set the Calculations parameter to Volume only, the Volume parameter is calculated. In upgraded projects, the Calculations parameter is set to Volume only for existing systems where the Calculations parameter has been set to None.
Improved hooking behavior : When working with large system models, you will notice an improvement in snapping behavior. Remote snaps only include objects in the visible part of the view, rather than the extent of the view. Also, the snap filters are now zoom level based: when the zoom level is higher, fewer items are included for remote snap. When Snap to remote objects is disabled, snap to connectors in linked files is excluded.
MEP Manufacturing Details : You can now use LOD 400 content from Autodesk Fabrication products (CADmep, ESTmep, and CAMduct) in Revit to create a better coordinated model. For construction company retailers, this feature further ensures model fidelity to the intended installation.
Structure and engineering news
Steel profiles: the Structural section category for structural columns and framing members provides new dimension settings for columns and framing members.
Elevation Parameters: to improve annotations and nomenclatures, the following fields are available:
- Top elevation (beams, braces, floors and rafters)
- Elevation to the upper core (multilayer floors and rafters)
- Elevation at the lower core (multi-layer floors and rafters)
- Base elevation (beams, floors and slabs)
- Raising the reference level (beams and braces)
Version and element strengths: To facilitate documentation and detailed design of connections, you can specify member end forces for columns, beams, and braces. This data can be scheduled and added to annotation labels.
Truss member rotation: When rotating a truss, you can specify whether the chords rotate with the truss or stay aligned with the truss placement plane.
Local coordinate system: the following enhancements to the local coordinate system (LCS) are available when working with analytical loads.
- The LCS widget is now displayed on curved beams and arched walls.
- When you place the hosted loads pointing them towards the host's SCL, the SCL widget is displayed on the element to indicate the direction of the load.
- Loads display correctly for bent linear analytical elements oriented towards the LCS.
Surface loads: the following enhancements are available when placing area loads.
- You can place area loads hosted on the surface of an arched wall.
- You can apply projected area loads. Select the Projected Loads parameter to correctly apply the scaled loads to a projection angle value.
Performance of the rebar display: to improve performance so that views open and update faster, Revit regenerates the reinforcement only for the elements visible on the screen. In addition, if the reinforcement appears too small on the screen, it is displayed as simplified lines, regardless of the level of detail assigned to the view.
Reinforcement placement: the following enhancements are available when placing a rebar.
Rebar offsets: in the Rebar Mates dialog box, you can now specify the rebar constraints relative to the host and an offset distance from the cover.
Reinforcement constraints dialog box: you can now zoom and pan and adjust your view without closing the dialog box.
Reinforcement rounding: When specifying default rebar rounding values, you can round to the nearest increment, the next higher increment, or the next lower increment.
Locking of the reinforcement parallel to the host face: you can now place a rebar parallel to a host face with precision by pressing the key May during placement.
Reinforcement shapes in the directions: To improve the detail of concrete reinforcement, you can assign rebar shapes to main and alternate bars in a main reinforcement direction system.
Reinforcement schedules: To improve reinforcement documentation, you can now include the following parameters and fields in schedules and labels:
- Host Mark displays the name of the structural member that hosts the rebar.
- Number of Hosts displays the number of identical structural members hosting the rebar.
- Quantity Per Element displays the calculated value of the total number of rebars per host.
Structural Analysis Toolkit for Autodesk® Revit® : the following enhancements are available:
- Gravity analysis: In addition to static analysis, you can perform gravity analysis. This type of analysis infers the flow paths of the loads, which allows you to determine how the vertical loads are transferred from the top to the model foundation.
- Results Explorer : You can view and explore different types of results for the severity analysis.
- Analysis execution: you can perform a series of analyzes simultaneously. In the Scan in Cloud dialog box, you can specify a type and parameters for multiple scans.
- Website - 3D Structure Viewer: you can view the results of static analysis and gravity analysis in 3D Structure Viewer. In addition, you can view detailed results. For members and surfaces, the results are presented in the local coordinate system.
- Website - 3D Structure Viewer: on mobile devices, you can zoom in / out, pan, and rotate a model using gestures.
- Website - dashboard: you can open the dashboard ofAutodesk® 360 Structural Analysis on the website by clicking the Analyze tab> Structure Analysis> Open Dashboard.
- List of messages : you can activate and deactivate the list of messages containing more information on the analyzes carried out by clicking on the Analyze tab> Structure analysis> Messages.
- Revit - Robot Integration: when updating a model Revit with the changes to the cut size, the link checks the compatibility between the cut size of Robot and the types of families loaded in the project Revit. If it identifies a type of family compatible with a cut Robot, it updates the model Revit Consequently.
- Revit - Robot Integration: you can specify which levels to transfer as story levels and which levels to transfer as construction lines in the model Robot.
- Revit - Robot Integration: during the link Revit - Robot , the orientation of the loads is transferred. Loads are presented in the local coordinate system or the universal coordinate system, depending on how they are defined in Revit.
All these improvements in videos
Source: Autodesk Online Help - Autodesk Building Youtube Channel