LIM: BIM for landscape projects and professionals with Rémy NAVARRO [File]
Definitions, profession, deployment, advantages, Solutions, interoperability, projects, actors, perspectives and useful resources
The LIM breaks down into two categories:
- TheSoftscapeBrings together all the elements of life, that is to say vegetation (shrubs, plants, trees, etc.), watercourses (lakes, rivers, rivers and other water points in surface or subsoil) and terrain (surface topography and geological layer).
- TheHardScapeRefers to the materials present in the landscape, that is to say the structures established by man (riprap, slabs, pontoon, etc.).
LIM and the profession of landscaper / landscaper
Many companies claim to be the authors of the LIM and some have even registered the mark with the INPI, however the LIM is much older!
Although still very shy, it is a field which is developing thanks to numerous researchers around the world and which today bears a name. The LIM would therefore be used to model the landscaped areas of projects but also theoutdoor environment models CIM.
For the part "Landscape", We talk a lot here about building projects that include a plant area requiring a landscape. This is usually one of the reasons that lead them to adopt BIM to follow the grouping.
The digital model would then contain the architectural project and everything that results from it, such as networks, electricity, plumbing, etc., but alsolandscaped areas, Correctly modeled in BIM. Do not believe that a digital model is necessarily synonymous with architecture. A street, park, square or any other landscaped space redevelopment project in a municipality can be done without an architect, and the landscaper is the agent. He will then be able to design the project in BIM, and even rather in LIM, allowing simulate growth and the needs of plants, to design a sustainable project.
Thanks to the LIM software, the professional landscape architect will no longer use the computer to create lines, layouts, symbols and dimensions of the technical drawing that he must present to his client; it will no longer add three-dimensional objects manually in order to obtain a perspective view; it will no longer redefine the forms of the landscape when creating an elevation; it will no longer manually count objects and drawings in order to obtain lists of plants. Instead, the architect will have tools to easily insert hedges and rows of plants, sprinklers and pipes, fences and paths, grounds, stairs, flower beds, etc. The architect will not insert a 2D plant symbol in a 2D plan and a 3D plant symbol in an elevation. It will simply define a plant in the landscape.e.
- Management of data and appearances on vegetation elements.
- Estimation of the water consumption of plants over a period of time (evapotranspiration) and its effects.
- Prediction of landscape growth over the entire life cycle.
- Simulate development / growth: youth, period of fertility, period of death.
- Simulate remodeling: design changes.
- Simulate the seasonal cycle - behavior, demands, appearance through the seasons.
- Understand the degrees of shadow density (masks, shadows, etc.)
- Produce and share data that can be used by non-expert users (flowering season, age, CO2 reduction, etc.).
- Missing interaction with open source data and GIS platforms -
- Knowledge and management of territory data for the community and for the State.
- Reduce management and maintenance costs.
- Integration of IoT data.
- Better management in the event of natural disasters (land with risk of mudslides, etc.).
- Database of geological resources (minerals, rare earths, water, trees, plantations, agriculture, etc.) of the territory.
The advantages and benefits of LIM
The benefits of LIM tools for landscaping professionals are similar to those of BIM for architects, since they stem from the same working philosophy. The LIM provides in particular:
- Increased productivity by reducing the repetition of tasks in different documents.
- Greater focus on landscape design and reduction of documentation tasks.
- Better coordination between the different professionals working on the same project.
- Information control through a single LIM database for the entire project.
- Better customer relations by obtaining and providing information in real time.
- A better understanding of sustainable development in projects.
LIM dedicated technologies and solutions
Research has already been launched to build the database necessary for landscapers, in particular by Land'Act in France, and by software developers such as ArborCAD, Revit et Vectorworks in the USA. To model plants in 3D, these developers work in parametric design. That is to say, they establish algorithms which model trees according to data entered by the user, such as the desired size, the age of the specimen, its width, its habit (in tree-stem or in clump) ), and the season. Once the model has been established, the simulation will reveal the evolution and growth of plants, eventually anticipating its management by analyzing the constraints that could hinder its growth (border, pipe, building, etc.), or the interventions to be planned (for example example, cutting trees if they become too cumbersome).
Vectorworks - Landmark
The most famous of the few players offering a BIM software package specifically for landscaping is Vectorworks, a design company belonging to the Nemetschek group. Their “Landmark” software has evolved considerably towards a landscape approach. Vectorworks has embarked on data creation to make “landscape information modeling” a reality.https://www.vectorworks.net/en-US/landmark
Revit and its plugins
The Revit software from the Autodesk editor allows topography modeling as well as the parametric creation of plants. Thanks to the datasets, it is possible to manage the evolution of plants. It also allows the integration of data for the use of landscaped areas. Using the plugin NAVIATE allows to multiply tenfold the possibilities of the LIM in a Revit model.
Lands is software that integrates the concept of LIM into its environment. Lands is based on the concept of LIM to bring added value to its platform: AutoCAD.
In addition, Lands can generate a fourth dimension: the time dimension. It allows to visualize the project at different phases of vegetation growth, and to simulate the modifications which occur during a seasonal cycle.https://fr.asunilands.com/index.php/lands/informations/pourquoi-utiliser-lands/
LIM, IFC and Interoperability
The Scandinavian countries were pioneers in research on the IFC classification of LIM models. If you would like to know more, please refer to the appendices of this article.
- (BFL) BIM For Landscape 2018 - Suggestions for mapping Landscape objects to IFC4 and suggestions for new future IFC objects for Landscape
LIM projects and actors in France
Several players are pioneers in the field of LIM in France, in particular BIMtech (the company in which Rémy works) and Land'Act.
BIMtech is a French company created in 2014, specialized in BIM process management. She accompanies the project management in the integration of BIM processes within the framework of large urban projects and housing, equipment and hospital projects, from launch to operation. BIMtech now has more than 290 piloted models to his credit, including 27 LIM models under Revit Autodesk since 2014.
All LIM models include at least:
- A 3D representation.
- The essence of the tree or the plant.
- Dimension of the plants (height, diameter).
- GIS data.
- The root protection system.
- The year of planting.
- Parameter for simulating growth over several years.
- IFC Classification.
Depending on the needs of the MOA, BIMtech provides high added value services.
More informations : http://www.bimtech.fr/
French company in the field of landscape engineering, since 2016 it has been one of the pioneers in the use of LIM in France. Land'Act offers an integrated offer for all trades linked to landscaping and urban development, in a systemic and global approach in the service of "more nature in the city", in the spirit of biophilia.
Land'Act has carried out several LIM projects including:
- Shopping and Leisure Center for INTER IKEA
- Marina Giovata for BOUYGUES
- Forest management project for SMAPP
What are the prospects for development?
The proliferation of BIM projects and IoT data opens up new perspectives in the field of LIM. More and more landscape agencies are integrating LIM models with a view to improving the quality of projects and reducing the operating costs of buildings.
The LIM will contribute to a better integration of plants in projects, and consequently to a reduction in the environmental impact of cities. BIM and LIM provide an answer to the problem of global warming with the possibility of creating carbon sinks in cities!
Graduated from a Bachelor of BE and BIM Project Management at CNAM Paris, I spent my first 6 years on construction sites before entering a BIM design office. In 2014, during an “operation / maintenance” research project, I discovered BIM.
Today, I work at BIMtech as BIM Coordinator on urban, housing and hospital projects ranging from 20 to 000 m².
- http://www.ecole-paysage.fr/site/formation_continue/LIM-Landscape-Information-Modeling-o u-Comment-integrer-le-BIM-dans-les-projets-depaysage.html
Souces des illustrations: land-act.fr - bimtech.fr - landsrl.com - landarchbim.com